Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winter Breakfast: Quinoa Porridge

It's been way frigid lately in London. So when I wake up and my body slash house feels like an igloo (frozen nips included), I need a hot breakfast. I've been getting really bored of steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, and the other day I came across this recipe and it has made getting up to frosty mornings a breeze. (Ok. That's a definite exaggeration, but quinoa porridge is really tasty).


I could go on and on about how good Quinoa is, but I won't because that's boring and definitely unbetchy. Here are the facts: 1) it's a close to a complete food because it's rich in protein 2) contains all 9 essential amino acids,  3) is gluten free and contains a bunch of other vitamins. In short, it's delicious and healthy. I made mine with 1 cup of coconut milk, 1 cup of water, and 1 cup of quinoa to cook. Then, I added a generous splash of coconut milk once it was cooked, sliced some strawberries on top and added some blueberries and honey. Mouthgasm!

I'll be making this until I get sick of it. Or until it gets warmer. Whichever one comes first.

Here are a few different recipes and pictures to entice you further:

1 comment:

  1. omg i lovee quinoa for breakfast! next time your at the grocery store, keep your eye out for quinoa flakes!!! they cook in literally 45 seconds and they get a more porridgy texture!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...