Sunday, June 24, 2012

Skincare Basics

Getting your skincare regime down to a T is no easy feat. I've been lucky - my mum trained as an aesthetician and owned her own spa throughout my teenage years; this has afforded me the opportunity to gain first-hand knowledge of what products to use, when to use them, and why. She's still way more of an expert than I am, but what it does mean is that I am able to pass on little nuggets of wisdom about the skincare triumvirate: cleansing, toning, and moisturising.

I thought I'd get back to basics in this post, for those of you who might be skincare newbies - I remember when I was one!
NB: I have combination/normal skin, with a typically oily T-zone. Many of these products work well for me/my skin type, but as individual differences do occur keep that in mind, as they may not be appropriate for all. 

Cleansers
Step one of any skincare regime should always be a thorough cleanse of your skin and its pores. This step is also the step that I find the most laborious (I am lazy) but the use of great skincare products that actually work, make this step so much easier.


1) Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish - £24
2) Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel - £20
3) Olay Gentle Cleansers - Refreshing Face Wash - c£2
4) Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser - £18

All of those cleansers have one thing in common: they're all foaming cleansers. I find that foam cleansers really get deep into my pores and leave my skin feeling truly cleansed. Having said that, the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish did dry out my skin, but I still included it as I know it works exceptionally well for almost everybody else. I do love a good cleanser; however, my earlier admission still stands - I am lazy - so after a particularly trying day [or when I come home inebriated] I use a face wipe. Usually a baby wipe. Don't tell my mum.

Toners
I only recently understood the true need for a toner. The most basic of reasons is this: after the cleansing, a toner is used to remove any lingering residues of makeup and/or cleanser on the skin; it restores the skins natural pH balance, and reduces the size of open pores on the face - making skin look clear and flawless. I know - this is why the use of a toner is essential in any skincare regime!



These are pretty much the only two toners I've used religiously. They both work equally well, and if I had to make a distinction as to which was better I would say the Instant Boost Skin Tonic, and this is only because Liz Earle gives you the option to buy it in spray format, making it easier to apply to the face. 

Moisturisers
Moisturising is definitely my favourite step in taking care of my skin. This is probably why I can be a bit of a moisturiser floozy - I like to chop and change up my moisturiser to try out different ones and to see what other brands can offer. Moisturising is a necessity as when we cleanse our skin we actually remove our face of its natural oil - sebum, so; moisturisers protect our skin while the sebaceous gland reproduces this oil. Plus, it's a key step in keeping our skin looking healthy and wrinkle free. No one wants to look 60+ when they're only 20!


It was pretty hard for me to whittle down my favourite cleansers to only three, but the above three are the best I have ever used. If I had to choose only one to buy, it would be Elizabeth Arden's offering and that's because it includes a SPF - this makes it the perfect year-round moisturiser.

So, choose one product from each category, use it twice daily and you have the essential beginnings of a skincare regime. Then you can start using day/night creams, serums, oils, exfoliators and the like. But for now, baby steps. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey kiddo glad to see we still agree on some stuff. Love you loads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you blog,
    Take a look at my blog,
    I hope you'll like it
    http://rosemode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...