Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Food & Fitness


To me, food and fitness go hand-in-hand. I'd like to think I live quite a healthy lifestyle; I like to keep fit, so I exercise regularly; and, I'm a vegetarian, which means that I'm always on the hunt for delicious recipes to add to my repertoire.

So where do I go for my food and fitness inspiration? To food and fitness blogs, obvi. There are so many out there it's all a bit overwhelming. A quick bit of personal history and context: just over two years ago now I made the decision to become a pescatarian, and although back then I changed my diet simply to inspire/force me to cook more vegetables and save some cash during my final university year (groceries in Canada are cray expensive. Not okay), I had no idea how much it would change my health for the better. Anyway, I'm a big advocate of the internet in that you can pretty much Google anything and inform yourself. So that's exactly what I did; I Googled 'pescatarian diet' and researched, read, and educated myself on how cutting out meat from my diet would change my body. :)

I've listed a few of my favourite food & fitness focused blogs below. What do they all have in common? Easy to follow recipes; great photography; unique hints and tips; authority (they know what they're talking about); and the blogs are written in a genuine, digestible voice that doesn't come across as patronizing or contrived.

1) Sorted Food - Who said men can't cook? This blog/website/YouTube channel is run by a group of guys who whip up delicious food and recipes and make them simple, cheap, healthy, and easy to do. Monkfish Rendang curry and Homemade herb-flavoured gnocchi? Yes please!

2) Skinny Taste - Gina from Skinny Taste has seriously hit the nail on the head when it comes to food and fitness. Her blogs MO? Take well known, popular (overly processed) dishes, and recreate them using only healthy ingredients. Hot Spinach and Artichoke dip? Skinnytaste'd. Eggplant Parm? Skinnytaste'd. This website was practically my bible when I first became a pescatarian; there's so much choice and the recipes are really easy to follow.

3) Undressed Skeleton - Taralynn from Undressed Skeleton has a similar blog to Skinny Taste, in that she oftentimes will recreate typically unhealthy meals and make them lighter. However, Undressed Skeleton is also a blog to read religiously if you've got a sweet tooth. Taralynn is an incredible baker and she blogs frequently about her homemade baked goods - everything from homemade pop-tarts to homemade truffles. She also posts workout logs, keeping fit hints & tips and has an incredible weight loss story. Truly inspirational.

4) Greatist - Greatist is a website that I stumbled upon by chance. It's got a similar kind of set up/feel to Thought Catalogue, but it's dedicated to fitness, health, and happiness. I've only been reading it for the past couple of days, but they have an excellent feature called GWOD - Greatist's Workout of the Day. A section of the website written by two trainers who put together simple but effective workout plans. This is definitely something I'll be using as I regularly grow bored of my workout routines and seek ways to change it up!

all images from Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...