Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Granola.

Granolagranolagranola. I love granola. I've been sneaking handfuls of this whenever I think my housemates aren't looking, because it's so delicious and moreish and I am a closeted snacker.

Having recently signed up for the Nike Run To The Beat half marathon(!) I am seriously kicking my ass in gear (and myself, who am I kidding, 13.1 miles? I run 4 miles and it feels like a massive achievement) and I am determined to get all fit and cross/crawl to that finish line. I read once somewhere that if you make your own snack food you'll save money and eat healthier (mind-blowing, I know) so I'm starting with granola.

Personal Trainer - check.
1/2 marathon training schedule - check.
Motivation - che -- sort of.

Anyway - GRANOLA! I took inspiration from Skinny Taste's recipe here. And then I adapted it because I am lazy, and don't really like following recipes.


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 1/2 a banana
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cups seed/nut/dried fruit mix of your choice (mine has dried peach, cranberries, sunflower seeds, linseed etc)
  • cinnamon (optional)

First preheat your oven to gas mark 5.

Then, spread your rolled oats out on a baking try and pop into the oven. Turn up the heat to gas mark 7. Toast the oats for 10 minutes, stirring once.

While your oats are toasting, mix together the agave nectar, peanut butter, coconut oil, and banana until all the wet ingredients are mixed together. Add the dried seeds/nuts/fruit. I'm a fan of as little washing up as possible, so I did everything in one measuring cup. Take the oats out from the oven, and then add these to the mixture as well.


Mix until every last oat is coated.


It's really easy to eat the entire thing as this stage. But if you have willpower, you will manage to spread it out onto a baking tray ready to bake!



Pop in the oven and bake at gas mark 5 for 15 minutes.


Gobble the entire thing.*

Or, leave to cool for 20 minutes, and then crumble and put in an air-tight container, ready to add to milk, yoghurt, or eat by the handful. Or put it in tupperwear and then mosey on upstairs, only to return in 10 minutes to grab another handful.

*No judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...